How Long Does It Take to Charge an Electric Vehicle?

2020 Audi Q5 Electric charging

Thinking of switching up to an electric vehicle for your next Monticello, MN ride? You are probably wondering how long it takes to charge an electric vehicle (EV) and Cornerstone Auto is here to tell you the full answer! Since there are many ways to charge an EV that involve different plugs and ports, the time it takes to charge your EV will depend. Also, the type, make, and model of your EV will also affect how long it takes to charge your EV. Cornerstone Auto can tell you about the charging times specifically for Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Jeep, Kia, Ram electric cars. Let’s get into the meat of this question and our team at Cornerstone Auto will be able to give you more exact answers!



Electric Car Charging Options

Level 1 Charging

Level 1 charging or domestic outlet home charging will usually take between 24 hours and a few days for a full charge. Charging with a normal grounded (three-prong) 110V/120V charging outlet will be slow, but it’s perfect for topping off the charge you used that day. 

Level 2 Charging

If you want faster charging, then you should look into Level 2 or install brand-approved charging at your Anoka, MN home. This method uses rapid (usually 240V+) chargers most often made specifically for your brand of car. You will probably use DC fast chargers instead of AC ones. Your EV can charge up to 80% in half an hour or forty minutes, but the remaining 20% will take longer due to the decreasing rate of charging speed.

Public Charging

Out and about and won’t be home anytime soon? You can use a public charging station since there are many available at parking garages, malls, hotels, stores like Walgreens and Kohl’s, and even apartment buildings. Public charging stations vary in type and speed, but they are usually Level 2 for a quick charge on the go. So how long is the electric car charging time in public exactly? A full charge can happen in around an hour for some EVs, but for other EVs, it could take 4 hours, 6 hours, or 11 hours

Shop Electric Vehicles at Cornerstone Auto Today!

Now that you learned more about electric car charging time, let’s get you inside one today! Cornerstone Auto has several Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Jeep, Kia, Ram EV models in Elk River for you to choose from. If you see one that you like and have questions about it, contact us. When you shop your next Ramsey, MN from us, you can be ensured with our Cornerstone Commitment, giving you extra peace of mind. 


More from Cornerstone Auto

  • Cornerstone Auto Voted as One of Minnesota’s Best Dealerships

    For the second year in a row, Cornerstone Auto is honored to be awarded the bronze award for being both Minnesota’s best used car dealership and Minnesota’s best new car dealership. Every year, our happy customers in the Elk River area vote for the businesses they love through the Star Tribune, Minnesota’s number-one trusted source for local…

  • Cornerstone Auto Joins Drive Electric Minnesota

    No doubt you’ve noticed more and more electric vehicles like the Ford Mustang Mach-E or Chevy Bolt EV around Monticello, MN. Nearly every major car brand has committed to significantly expanding its electric vehicle lineup over the coming years. The automotive future is undoubtedly electric. But we will need the charging infrastructure to support that electric future. That’s…

  • Free Things to Do Near Minneapolis

    Contact Us Are the kids home for the summer and you need some budget-friendly activities for them? Or maybe you just bought or leased a new or used car and want someplace to show it off without breaking your budget? If so, check out our list of the best free things to do near Minneapolis…

Contact Us
Cornerstone Auto 45.3767051, -93.3884585.